5.23.2011

Mountains Beyond Mountains

Before I begin, I'd just like to thank the good people who shared word of this amazing beyond amazing celebration of music in the magical mountains this past Friday night. Some of you might remember my post Mystical Mountains & Golden Domes from last September, which was a festival put on by the same spectacular group of folks. Having been far too long since my last trek up to the breathtaking peaks I gaze upon from below everyday, my flame of desire to dance beneath the mountain moonlight was ignited. Bring on the house music!

IMG_1012



IMG_1017
On the surface, the city lights shine.
They're calling at me, come and find your kind.

IMG_1029

IMG_1033

IMG_1035

IMG_1037

IMG_1045
I need the darkness, someone please cut the lights
(...unless it's crazy lasers and disco balls ;) )

IMG_1048

IMG_1051

IMG_1039

IMG_1040
I couldn't have asked for a better group of girls to share this night with. Thank you Amber, Sayra, & Hau for being the most awesome group of girls down to rough it in the mountain tops and dance ourselves into oblivion!

IMG_03

IMG_1089

IMG_1096

IMG_01

The only thing that complements the light-pollution free darkness of the wilderness more than the naked moonlight is the purely organic creation of swirling light emanating from a set of fingertips effortlessly aligning with the beat--in other words, a light show. I had the pleasure of giving my first light show, and boy was it exhilarating. I was always hesitant to try, for fear I'd just aimlessly flail my arms about, but if the mood is right and the music is bumping, it comes quite naturally. You just gotta let go sometimes. Luckily, I was able to see some pros in action, whose ephemeral art I was able to capture in photo. These glowing wisps and mesmerizing spirals were created with a single glove light and a cell phone. Now that's ingenuity at it's best.

IMG_1097

IMG_1077

IMG_02

IMG_1094

IMG_1095

One thing I really appreciated about this particular event was the intimacy of it all. Not many would be willing to make the midnight journey up to the very top of the peak, but those few who did know what's up, literally. Don't get me wrong, I love the thrill of the mosh, deep in the heart of a crowd, as much as any other rowdy bass lover. But sometimes, it's nice to have the room to melt and flow, dance singularly with the rhythm of the song, and let the gentle winds guide your motion. In times like this, all I can do is release my inner lone wolf and howl at the moon.

IMG_1118

IMG_1120

IMG_1122
Work that purple, Amber, work it!

IMG_1121

IMG_1126

IMG_1124

IMG_1128

IMG_1129

Transforming into a night owl under the mountain moonlight is one thing, but watching the steady progression of light fill the dawn sky like an early bird is a whole different story. Having never seen the sunrise before, popping my daybreak cherry while perched upon what seemed like the highest point in the world was just the way to do it. Nothing will ever compare to opening my tired eyes at the edge of a cliff to see a sea of billowy clouds covering the valley below for miles. Now, that's heaven people. No doubt about it.

IMG_1131

IMG_1149

IMG_1150

IMG_1164

IMG_1151

IMG_1155

IMG_1169

IMG_1170
Mountains beyond mountains,
and there's no end in sight.

IMG_1178

IMG_1179

IMG_1190
When wilderness beckons, don't leave home without your trusty Docs!

IMG_1187

IMG_1188

IMG_1202

IMG_1200

IMG_1216

IMG_1212

IMG_1222

IMG_1217

IMG_1218
I have absolutely no words...

IMG_1226

IMG_1229

It's always strange seeing something in complete darkness, then waking to such clarity. Our humble little dance floor was one fit for a god. And if that god was present that night, I am almost certain I caught a glimpse of good ol' Dionysus with a hardy wine in hand prancing amongst us as if we were spirited maenads lured to the mountains to hold our own wild bacchanalia.

IMG_1234

IMG_1237

IMG_1230